Robert11

Default Furnace Thermostat: Meaning Of "2 Stage" ?

Hello:

A bit confused over the terminology on furnace thermostats.
Embarassed to ask, but really want to be sure I have it right.

Does a 2 stage furnace (where there are two gas valve settings; a high heat
and a lower heat output) require a 2 stage thermostat ?

I guess what's confusing me is the "2 stage thermostat" part.

By 2 stage on the stat, do they, perhaps, just mean a programmable setback
temp., or is it really that you need this type to control (properly) a 2
stage furnace such as the Trane gas, forced hot air furnace I will be
getting installed shortly.

Might anyone please explain this a bit.

Thanks,
Bob