Conan The Librarian

Larry Kraus wrote:

I'm using some highly figured cherry as the top of my daughter's
sideboard. There are a couple small knots which I would like to fill
to smooth the top and avoid collecting dirt. I'm not trying to hide
the knot, just fill it. I recall Norm used epoxy to fill some knots
(in mesquite?) on a project, but I do not think he explained what
epoxy he used or what he used as a coloring agent. As I recall, he
colored his epoxy black, while I'm looking for a dark reddish brown.
Anybody have any experience with this or an alternative method?

In addition to the other suggestions you've received, there is a
product called "Apoxie sculpt" (http://apoxie.sculptingstudio.com/).
It's a moldable, putty-like epoxy compound that comes in various colors.
I don't know that you could get a color to match, but I think black
looks better anyway.

I've used it to fill knotholes and wormholes in mesquite, and I'm
happy with the look. It's easy to work, and not as messy as epoxy.

I've played around with various methods, including doing a turquoise
inlay (that's very popular down here in Texas), but I now prefer just
filling with clear epoxy. I fill in two steps; first fill just below
the wood's surface, let dry, and then come back and *slightly* overfill
(see below) and scrape flush when dry.

The whole operation is easier and neater if you use blue masking
tape to surround the void being epoxied. As soon as the epoxy is in
place and leveled, remove the tape. If you fill to flush with the
surface of the tape, you'll have just a tiny bit of epoxy to remove with
a scraper.

Chuck Vance