Dan Bollinger

I decided to try out the LDD method, and while the jury's still out on
the final result, I did a little research to try and figure out just
how and why it might work.

Prometheus, Great thread you started! I contacted the Forest Product Labs
and asked them about LDD and gave them all the technical information you and
everyone else has provided with the hopes that someone there, or in some
university somewhere, this had been investigated. Here is there reply:

"Dear Mr. Bollinger,
Thank you for your email inquiry! We do not have any information on this
method of stabilizing wood. We do have a packet of information that uses
PEG (polyethylene glycol) ---this method can be found in our Wood Handbook,
Wood as an Engineering Material
(http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fp.../fplgtr113.htm) "

Not what I hoped for. Dan