Adrian Berry

"Holly in France" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 May 2005 18:43:56 +0100, Des O'Donoghue wrote:

Holly in France wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2005 11:54:39 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Berry wrote:

"Holly in France" wrote in message

My husband has just kindly given me an iPod photo for my birthday -

yipee!
Problem is, we don't have a computer which will work with it. It needs

XP
with SP2.

It works satisfactorily on XP without SP2. ( well, mine does!)

SP2 is necessary for an XP USB2.0 interface - thus when you plug in the
device it will warn that a high speed device is using a low speed USB

port
and then it will chug along just fine but at a much reduced connection
speed.

Thanks for that, as a result I've just had a go. Do you happen to

remember
if the iPod software needed to go online to register before set-up

would
complete? Install hangs just after the bit where I have to put in the

name
& address etc, and I'm wondering if that is the reason why?

For what its worth the SP2 CD was available free from Microsoft and sent
out with a lot of computer mags as well - they really wanted to blitz
the place and ensure people used it - it resolved a lot of security type
issues.

In relation to the Ipod I think it did go online (fairly sure actually).

Thanks for everyones replies to this thread. I had problems getting the XP
computer to 'see' the ipod at all, but after resetting the ipod it now
(partially so far) works without SP2 and with the existing USB port. I
haven't managed to load the software that came with the ipod without an
internet connection, but have loaded itunes, which can now see the

contents
of the ipod. Just have to work out how to load the music onto the ipod
manually now (to avoid losing existing music on ipod!), haven't had time
yet. itunes loads photos though so I hope it will do music too.

I'm also half way there with the Win98 computer, which was much easier
using a downloaded driver and it saw the ipod first time round - a

miracle!
I can use the ipod as an external disk drive, which is handy, can get

music
off it OK but can't upload it in a way that it can be 'seen' by the ipod
software. I haven't so far found any software which can 'see' the ipod

even
though it's mounted and visible as an external drive, so I am slowly
working on that too. RealPlayer should work but is a huge download so will
try to get that on CD. Winamp might work but needs windows scripting host
which I disabled long ago for security reasons which I now can't remember!

So, I think I'll get there in the end, thanks again for everyones help.

--
Holly, in France
Holiday home in Dordogne

It's well worth browsing the FAQs and forums (fora? :-) ) at
http://www.ipodlounge.com/

They explain how to manually synchronise the Ipod without losing existing
music and also tell of an excellent utility called PodUtil which enables you
to download the music from your Ipod into Itunes so a) you have it backed up
and b) you can synchronise automatically which is simpler.

It is a very good site covering all things poddish

Adrian