JohnM

Shabtai Evan wrote:
JohnM wrote:

Richard Ferguson wrote:

I happened to be talking to a jeweler who was working on a large
piece of 10 ga (about 1/8 inch) silver. She needed to make multiple
closed end slots, each around 6 to 9 inches long. She tried to use a
jeweler's saw, but it was extremely slow. She showed the piece to
me, and asked me how I would cut it. I immediately said plasma
cutter. She is probably going to come over to my shop to cut these
slots.

Has anyone here ever cut silver with a plasma cutter? Anything I
should know? I asked on an art list I hang out on, and no one had
ever done it, although everyone seemed to think that it could be
done. My understanding is that plasma cutters will cut any metal,
although the speed of cut varies somewhat with the metal.

Richard

It'll work fine. The only possible issue will be the fact that the
kerf will be a bit tapered, as usual with a plasma cutter. I'm going
to bet you'll be surprised at how fast it goes.

John

At about $5-$6/troy oz. isn't that wasteful?
SE

Considering inches per second with the plasma cutter vs. minutes per
inch with a saw, I'd find it to be a bargain.

John