max

Default Dead Sony 300sf monitor

My Sony Multiscan 300sf monitor suddenly died on my about 4 days ago. The
only cause I can think of is out-of-range signals, as this happened while
booting up a new Linux distro and specifying custom screen resolution. The
screen just quietly went black. So, I cycled the power on and off a
couple of times hoping to restore normal operation, but no luck.

When the unit was working properly, pressing the power button would
produce a rather loud "thunk" sound, like a heavy-duty relay being
engaged. This would be followed by a softer click, and then the video
would come on.

Now, when I press the power button, nothing happens: the screen remains
black and there is absolutely no sound coming from it. Following some
threads I found on Google, I tried holding the - button in. After a
couple of seconds I get the familiar clicks, a loud one followed by a soft
one. While this is happening, the "Power" and "Power Saving" LEDs go
through a flashing sequence which ends with both LEDs blinking in unisson,
1/2 second on and 1/2 second off, forever. No activity on the screen
itself.

I've tried pressing the "RESET" button as well as disconnecting the power
cord and the VGA cable to no avail.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Max