World Traveler

"woodworker88" wrote in message
ups.com...
Import a new one. Chuck the old one, then find a stump from a tree
that was taken down. Cut off the roots, then secure the stump over
some steel spikes in the ground. Then coat the stump with several
gallons of preservative and mount your carving.

I think this is the right answer. I'd go one step further and take the new
stump and soak it in preservative rather than just coating ("painting"?) it.
I have a couple of pine tree stumps that I did this to, and keep them in the
garden to try and maintain a natural appearance. Move 'em around sometimes
if the adjacent bushes get too big and hide the effect.

I've also taken 3-4" slabs of tree trunk, soaked them in preservative, and
used them as stepping stones. Even lying on the ground in a wet location,
they've lasted for six years so far, with no apparent deterioration.

Good luck -- regards --