George

"Vic Baron" wrote in message

When using a typical 6" floor model jointer like a Grizzly - what would

you
say is the longest piece of stock that can be easily worked by one person?
Would using roller supports make jointing longer boards feasible?

If I buy 8' rough lumber I find that I have to cut it into smaller

workable
pieces to joint and plane it.

The jointer does its job at the cutter. As you've noticed, the infeed
doesn't need full contact. What does need contact and control is that
portion of the board which has just passed over the knives, so it can
provide a proper reference.

The "length" limit is really a weight/leverage limit. A narrow board can be
controlled well at greater than 8', a 2x13" piece of yellow birch becomes a
challenge at six.

Extensions, unless they are _perfectly_ aligned with the outfeed, cause more
trouble than they're worth.