IMM

Default Central heating using radiators in an open plan house with high ceilings

"Dermot O'Loughlin" wrote in message
om...
The reason I am not inclined to go for underfloor heating is that
after talking to some friends who have recently installed it I made
the following observations:

1) It is very unresponsive. In our climate it can be quite mild during
the day but chilly at night. If I went for UFH I wouldn't have the
option of responsive heating.

2) Timber floors - I've been advised that UFH does not work well with
timber floors. I prefer timber floors in my living area, dining area
and hall as I feel it makes a room look cosier than using tiles.

3) Expense - it is cheaper to install a heating system using rads.

I do know that UFH would be the ideal way to heat my large open areas
but the points I make above lead me to look for the best alternative.

I am going to look into the idea of using fan convection rads instead
of normal rads. Does anyone have any experience using these?

I also like the idea of the duct in the ceiling taking the heat to the
floor level - can this be used in a room with an open fire?

Yes, no problems, as it is just moving air from top to bottom.

Have you considered forced air, heat recovery and vent? These are very
responsive. A copper coil heater battery may be installed in the ductwork
heated by a gas or oil boiler. As you doing major work, the ductwork could
be integrated inside walls and floors.