Doug Miller

In article , "Vic Baron" wrote:

When using a typical 6" floor model jointer like a Grizzly - what would you
say is the longest piece of stock that can be easily worked by one person?
Would using roller supports make jointing longer boards feasible?

Possibly, depending on how much hassle it is to adjust them to level and
parallel with the jointer tables.

If I buy 8' rough lumber I find that I have to cut it into smaller workable
pieces to joint and plane it.

You're better off cutting the pieces to an easily workable length before
jointing, no matter how long your jointer is:

a) Shorter boards are easier to handle. It's usually *faster* to make one pass
each with two 3' boards, than with one 6' board, and the results are better.

b) You'll have more thickness remaining after jointing, with the shorter
boards. Consider an 8' board 1" thick with a uniform bow of 1/4". If you joint
the entire 8' length at once, you will have only 3/4" left after jointing and
planing. If you cut it to 4' lengths before jointing, the bow is only 1/8" in
each section, and you have 7/8" left after jointing and planing.

c) Since you're removing less material, you don't have to make as many passes
across the jointer, either.

IMO there is no reason at all to try to joint an 8-foot board unless you need
to produce a straight, flat 8-foot board. If your objective is straight, flat,
three-foot boards, cut them to three feet plus a few inches first, and then
joint.

--
Regards,