The Natural Philosopher

Default Central heating using radiators in an open plan house with high ceilings

IMM wrote:

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...

Will I have a problem heating the large open areas using radiators?

Will the heat just go straight to the ceiling? A friend mentioned
using ceiling fans to counteract this - would this be possible?

If you really can't install underfloor heating, consider using a fan
convector instead of a unforced convector (radiator).

The underfloor will be best, as it will reduce
convection,

??

promoting the most heat low down, where
it is more effectively promoting comfort.

UFH does not promote heat low down. Hot air rises. When the heat emitter is
the floor, when the hot air moves from the emitter to the top of the room it
passes you, heating you along the way.

Well, experience shows that it may not heat low down, but it does
eliminate a cold layer near the floor.

With radiators cold air sinks to the floor and moves across it to the
radiators, gets hot and rises immediately. So you get localised hot
spots near the rads, and a thermal gradient through the room and cold feet.

With UFH its hard to tell the heating is on at all. You just feel
uniformly warm. There are no localised hot spots to start convection with.

I find the room can be statted a couple of degrees cooler and still feel
the same.