robo hippy

Kevin,
I started turning with the idea of selling my products. I was already
selling boxes and small furniture pieces, and was trying to find
something other than concrete work to do. When I first started, my
pieces were rather primative, but functional, and there are always
bargain hunters. As my skills improved, the prices went up. I don't
think that I am collectable yet, but I have a few regulars. If you
don't want to sell,and are running out of people to give them to, there
are all sorts of non-profit organizations who love to get things for
raffels, door prizes, and fund raisers. Schools, churches, women and
children centers, wild life rehab places, etc. Even if you don't sell,
someone will eventually come along and offer to buy one, and the first
thing that comes to mind as you are trying to figure out a price, is
which new tool, or piece of wood are you going to buy next. I was a
semi-pro for almost 10 years (that means that you make enough to
support your habbit and even pay some bills, but not enough to quit the
day job).I finally quit the day job over 2 years ago, and haven't
looked back. Turning is more fun than when I started because I still
learn something every day. I can't imagion that ever stopping until the
day that my birth certificate expires. (thank my dad for that quote).
robo hippy

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Kevin" wrote: (clip)something to do as relaxation, or as an adjunct

other construction activities? I see it more as relaxation and an
opportunity to create, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Almost everyone starts out with this idea--relaxation, creativity,
enjoyment. I have a book on the subject of selling arts and crafts,

where
the author "proves," in an early chapter, that you MUST end up

selling your
stuff or quit. At first you place them around the house, and give

them as
gifts. After a while each your friends has more than one of your

bowls, and
their smiles of appreciation are beginning to look a little forced.

Then
the bowls start to pile up, and your effort to continue is pushing

against
the backlog. So, according to this author, you must start selling.

The problem is that, for many people, this changes the attitude

toward the
work and the time spent. Unless you are REALLY successful, your

hourly rate
of return will be quite low.

For myself, I prefer not to sell. I turn only when I am enjoying it,

and I
DON'T CARE if a little project takes a long time. If a job is a

failure, I
just shrug. It it turns out well, I take it to the club "show and

tell."