Dermot O'Loughlin

Default Central heating using radiators in an open plan house with high ceilings

The reason I am not inclined to go for underfloor heating is that
after talking to some friends who have recently installed it I made
the following observations:

1) It is very unresponsive. In our climate it can be quite mild during
the day but chilly at night. If I went for UFH I wouldn't have the
option of responsive heating.

2) Timber floors - I've been advised that UFH does not work well with
timber floors. I prefer timber floors in my living area, dining area
and hall as I feel it makes a room look cosier than using tiles.

3) Expense - it is cheaper to install a heating system using rads.

I do know that UFH would be the ideal way to heat my large open areas
but the points I make above lead me to look for the best alternative.

I am going to look into the idea of using fan convection rads instead
of normal rads. Does anyone have any experience using these?

I also like the idea of the duct in the ceiling taking the heat to the
floor level - can this be used in a room with an open fire?

Thanks for your help so far,
Dermot.