Dave Hinz

On Tue, 24 May 2005 18:20:43 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:
In article ,
Christopher Tidy wrote:

jtaylor wrote:
http://forgedunderthemountain.com/FUTMPG3.html

Is it legal to do this to coinage in the US? It isn't in England,
although I did use some coins to make ends for a Van de Graaff generator
roller once, and I heard that there was some new law which permitted the
defacement of 1p coins too :-).

Chris

In the USA, the critical verbiage regarding "remodeling" coinage is
"with intent fo defraud". In other words, if you're "just dinkin'
around", and have no intention of ever trying to actually SPEND the coin
(unless you can convince somebody to let you use it at face value after
you've committed your dastardly deed against it) that you've "creatively
mangled" you're fine.

Good thing. I needed to put a threaded gage into the end-cap on some
3/4" copper pipe, but of course the caps are too thin to drill & tap.
So, I soldered a couple pennies (pre-1982) to the cap, one inside, one
outside, and then drilled & tapped for the 1/8" NPT threads I needed.
For two cents and a bit of solder, I saved buying a fitting that would
have cost me quite a bit more, and a trip to the hardware store.
They're a known size, weight, and composition. Lot to be said for that.