Don Foreman

On 24 May 2005 09:48:52 -0700, "mclorson"
wrote:

I'd appreciate a detailed description of O/A butt welding, end to end
of mild steel rod. I use 3/16" and 1/4" mild steeel welding rod. I have
been using a HF ring roller to put arcs and curves in the rod. Now I'd
like to join the curves on multiple planes. Emmo (from this NG) has
mentioned it several times. Do you precision fit the ends, hold the
rods together and add filler rod? Or do you puddle up the ends and then
push together? Pushing them together at puddled temp seems like I might
need an extra set of hands. Also,holding the work on the correct plane
has proven to be a real challenge. Any advice on holding or clamping
devices would also be appreciated. I will be using the joined rods to
form a sculpture. I use a Meco Midget torch. Thanks!

Weld up a simple clamping jig.

Take a short piece of angle iron, weld a U made of rod to it.
Then saw about a 1/4" gap in the angleiron. Clamp the rods in the V
of the angle with visegrips or whatever with a little gap between
them (no precision necessary) over the gap in the angle, and weld 'em
together with a bit of filler rod.