George

"Larry Kraus" wrote in message
Since my original post I've experimented a bit. I had some SuperGlue
brand slow set epoxy that is a clear, amber color. I tried a bit in
some scrap and found that the dark color of the knot shows through the
epoxy pretty well without being too dark. I overfilled the knot a bit
and then trimmed it down with a block plane and hand scraper after it
set. It seems to require careful mixing to avoid air bubbles, but most
of those I had seem to work their way out before the epoxy set hard.

You can also lay down epoxy and use it to adhere more bark - either ground,
or in chunks - to the recess. That way the bark is on top accepting
stain/finish the way bark does, not the way plastic does.

Sawdust looks like dead fish eyes.