Danny Monaghan

Tony Bryer wrote in
:

In article , Danny Monaghan wrote:
The question is, to cope with the massive weight of water, should
I use 6" x 2" joists at 12" centres, or will smaller timbers
and/or larger centres be okay - or a combination of sizes? Also,
will a single layer of 16mm OSB me sufficient for the deck
surface, or would this be better thicker?

I agree with the others that this needs an engineer's design.
Domestic floor are designed for an imposed load of 1.5kN/m2
(30lb/ft2); you've got 1.05m of water = 10.3kN/m2 (218lb/ft2) - 7
times the load. Apart from the structural side I'd be concerned about
splashed water getting trapped between the underside of the pool
liner and deck surface.

What span does that imposed load apply to? Does a shorter span on the same
timbers push the load capacity up?

I've just finished speaking to an engineer and he came up with the same
10kN/m load you've calculated, but he said to me that's light (I actually
laughed when he said that). This was quick musings/scribblings, not a full
quote, but basically he says that my original design will do the job -
although he did add that people standing in the pool presents a point load
that needs to be considered as well. The height of the pillars is low
enough to not worry about then slewing.

He also suggested cutting and filling (because of the lack of access for
bulk products) may be a another solution. This would leave a smaller
retaining wall which would not be a problem for the load.

Any more thoughts please?