pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Christopher Tidy
wrote back on Sun, 22 May 2005 19:29:13 +0000 (UTC) in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
jtaylor wrote:
http://forgedunderthemountain.com/FUTMPG3.html

Is it legal to do this to coinage in the US? It isn't in England,
although I did use some coins to make ends for a Van de Graaff generator
roller once, and I heard that there was some new law which permitted the
defacement of 1p coins too :-).

In the States at least, you may "deface" the coins and currency, but
not in such wise as to cause someone to mistake it's value. E.g. trying to
change a $2 to look like a $20 is a bad thing. Put eye glasses and a
goatee on George's portrait, so what?

If you want to take a nickel and drill a hole in it rather than pay 7
cents for a washer - not a problem.

OTOH, I understand that in the UK, defacing the currency, because of
the portrait of the Monarch, is consider a bit more serious. Sort of how
they could justify treason charges against those who put bombs in Royal
Post boxes. Or so I've heard.

tschus
pyotr

--
Sometimes fate hits you with the Clown Hammer of Circumstance
and there's nothing to do but sit there and watch the little