Wayne Cook

On Fri, 20 May 2005 22:22:59 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

What are we calling "aspen" pad? I used the blue plastic one, and the first
year, it got all clogged up. I powerwashed it, but the second year, it
seemed like it didn't wet as good as the first year.

This year, I got the green paper looking pads for one cooler. The other
came with the "excelsior" or what looks like fine wood strands. The kind
that were common and the only ones available long ago. I will use the
excelsior pads this first year, and see how it looks next spring.

I've gone to refrigerated in the house do to increase humidity in
this area. However before I did I put nylatron lathe shavings in the
pads held in place by some 1/4" mess hail screen. I'm currently using
the same two swamp coolers in my shop with the original set of
shavings in the pads about 8 years later. I just blow and wash the
pads out at the first of the year each year. The shavings actually
work better with a little bit of deposit on them since it provides a
absorbent surface for the water.

Before that I tried both kinds of green pads (the paper and the
scotch pad style) but had build up problems which restricted air flow.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook