Chuck

You might check with an exterminator- he might be able to dump a bunch of
chemicals in the stump that would kill off any bugs, bacteria or fungus.

Remember, wood rots because something is eating it. Moisture alone generally
does not destroy wood. This is why pressure treated lumber doesn't rot.

"Jim Wild" wrote in message
Great question huh? In fact, I need to preserve this half way rotten
stump for a possible piece of art to be mounted on top of it. (On a
golf course) It is 3' in diameter at the base, 4' tall, but has a rotted
center that you could fit a bowling ball into. We are planning a very
large and expensive wood carving to be mounted on top of this stump.
Will filling the rotten middle with cement stop the rotting process for
at least a few years? If you can answer that one, your good.

Thanks, Jim