Tom Miller

I think it must have originally been designed to have some sort of drive to
the valve gear other than steam. No one smart enough to design an engine,
would be dumb enough to bring the shafts through the end covers of the steam
chest if they didn't have to. Gland are a never ending source of
annoyance,so if you didn't need them , why make them?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I bought an old model steam engine at an estate sale today, and I am
puzzled by the valve gear. There is no mechanical connection between
the crankshaft and the valve!

The steam chest has a shaft protruding from the fore and aft - these
will slide in and out. Haven't gotten it to run yet - I would like to
try to find out more about it before dis-assembling.

Can anyone fill me in on this beast?

TIA,
Wally