Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Graeme Eldred wrote:
We recently bought a second hand battery driven car for our son, and
find that there are two 6v batteries, wired in series, to give 12v. I'm
fairly sure they are motorcycle batteries. They are described as
sealed, so presumably don't require any further attention.

Two questions.

We have to turn the car on to one side, i.e. through ninety degrees, to
get it in and out of the house (yes, every morning, and every evening!),
and always remove the batteries first. Is that necessary? Being
sealed, can they safely be turned on their sides?

It depends. Unfortunately, some makers describe batteries as being sealed
for life when they aren't actually truly sealed types - ie with a gel for
an electrolyte rather than a liquid, where the latter can and will leak if
overturned.

Should we trickle charge it every night, irrespective of the use it has
had that day? I'm thinking more in terms of overall battery life, than
the amount of power available the following day.

Any lead acid regardless of type will be more than happy to be topped up
to full charge regardless of use. But with the correct charger.

With genuinely sealed types this involves using a constant voltage charger
where the maximum voltage doesn't exceed 13.8 volts.

Thanks!

--
*Why is it that to stop Windows 95, you have to click on "Start"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.