Sam Goldwasser

writes:

G'day,

I've recently acquired an old bench multimeter, a Fluke 800A.

On the most sensitive AC-range (200mV AC) it seems to 'overflow'
(displaying 1999mV) when leads are attached. Is this normal behaviour
for this equipment? When shorting the leads, it displays correctly. On
the 2V AC range, it displays about 0.3VAC...

Is this because of RF interference in the air (but why don't my other
multimeters have it so badly?) or is it in need of repair?

If you mean just hanging not connected to anything, it's probably
normal. If it zeros when they are shorted, then it's likely working.

Measure something to confirm.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.