Richard Ferguson

Default Cutting Silver with a plasma cutter?

I happened to be talking to a jeweler who was working on a large piece
of 10 ga (about 1/8 inch) silver. She needed to make multiple closed
end slots, each around 6 to 9 inches long. She tried to use a jeweler's
saw, but it was extremely slow. She showed the piece to me, and asked
me how I would cut it. I immediately said plasma cutter. She is
probably going to come over to my shop to cut these slots.

Has anyone here ever cut silver with a plasma cutter? Anything I should
know? I asked on an art list I hang out on, and no one had ever done
it, although everyone seemed to think that it could be done. My
understanding is that plasma cutters will cut any metal, although the
speed of cut varies somewhat with the metal.

Richard