Gunner

On Mon, 23 May 2005 16:04:01 -0400, LP
wrote:

On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:21:42 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On 23 May 2005 14:37:15 GMT, Ignoramus25487
wrote:

I am still trying to identify my lathe pictured at

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/clausing/01-home/

specifically:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/clau...e/dscf0014.jpg
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/clau...e/dscf0015.jpg
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/clau...e/dscf0016.jpg
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/clau...e/dscf0017.jpg

It is likely Clausing Mk something.

I tried threading a 3/4" shaft with it recently.

My problem with it is that the lathe is very slow to stop. When I turn
the lathe off, it takes a few revolutions for it to stop. There is no
automatic way to stop, like on a lathe that I practiced on 18 years
ago. So my threading bit can end up anywhere.

What is the standard approach to this problem.

Stopping? Why are you stopping during threading? Blink blink?

You put a long shank dial indicator on the ways below or next to the
headstock, and when you reach where you want to be..you disengage the
half nut handle, back off the compound two turns, hand feed back to
the hard stop you put to start from, and repeat as needed. The spindle
never gets shut off until you are ready to remove the work from the
chuck.

Threading up to a shoulder is nearly ...nearly impossible with these
types of lathes, but you should be able to come pretty darned close if
you are turning slow enough. Always plan for a bit of relief at the
end of your thread if running up to a shoulder.

Gunner

Cuz' a lot of the 3-in-1's like my older Smithy don' have half-nuts
and cant be retro'd so its not an option.

I thought we were talking about real lathes?

Gunner, ducking and running

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown