Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Default Threading on a "slow to stop" lathe

"Ignoramus25487" wrote in message
I tried threading a 3/4" shaft with it recently.

My problem with it is that the lathe is very slow to stop. When I turn
the lathe off, it takes a few revolutions for it to stop. There is no
automatic way to stop, like on a lathe that I practiced on 18 years
ago. So my threading bit can end up anywhere.

What is the standard approach to this problem.

First, turn a "land" at the point where you wish the threads to stop. Make
the diameter just at, or a couple-thou under the minor diameter of the
thread.

IF you have a threading dial, and don't have to reverse your lathe to get
back to the start of the threads --

When the tool enters the land, disengage the longitudinal feed (halfnuts),
then stop the lathe with the tool still in the land.

Watching carefully, you can stop in a land barely more than one thread pitch
wide.

If you don't have a threading dial, be right quick on the cross-feed, and
back the tool out rapidly when it hits the land. Then stop the lathe,
reverse, etc.,etc..

LLoyd