Karl Townsend

Default sticky transmission clutch

My Mazak M4 lathe has a 16 speed transmission and constant speed AC motor.
Speeds 1-8 are accomplished by having clutch LL engaged and HH out. 9 to 16
just the opposite. Speeds 1-4 and 9-12 have a L clutch engaged and an H
clutch disengaged. Again, just the opposite for speeds 5-8 and 13-16. Each
clutch has a 24 Volt DC solenoid to bring it in.

Anyway, my L clutch is slow to disengage. Shifting from gears 4 to 5 (3 to 8
etc etc) momentarily locks up the tranny - NOT good. I added a 1 second
delay anytime I drop clutch L before bringing in clutch H and things work
fine. Except, now I don't have enough motor torque to shift to gear 13
because the spindle coasts down too much in speed during that one second.
(Motor torque goes to red line, smoke comes out, and it smells like ozone so
I hit the E-Z Stop)

I know its a long shot, but is there anything to do for a sticking drive
clutch short of tearing the transmission down?

Karl