BobS

I've used small tubes of artists acrylic paints (local art store) and found
that "Burnt Umber" alone worked well for walnut and with a dab of "Mohave
Red" as I recall - it worked nicely with cherry. There's usually a chart of
samples at the display so pick a dark red and add a very small amount of the
burnt umber and I think you'll get a color that will look good. Match the
color of the knot - not the surrounding wood. Hard to give you a ratio of
color to add to the epoxy but something like 1 part color to 50 parts epoxy
will give you an idea that a dab of color goes a long way.

As for mixing with the epoxy and color. Premix the artists colors until you
get what you want. You will only need a small amount to color the epoxy. I
used the two part (5 min setup) stuff and mixed it as per directions then
added color while stirring it to blend it in. You'll know how much to add
by seeing that the epoxy doesn't change color any more. Remember that the
epoxy will add a bit of a shine to it so you'll sand that down to dull it
before applying the finish coats - even if it's a gloss finish. If the epoxy
is not even with the surrounding wood - it will be noticeable, so add a bit
more and then sand it flat.

Bob S.

"Larry Kraus" wrote in message
I'm using some highly figured cherry as the top of my daughter's
sideboard. There are a couple small knots which I would like to fill
to smooth the top and avoid collecting dirt. I'm not trying to hide
the knot, just fill it. I recall Norm used epoxy to fill some knots
(in mesquite?) on a project, but I do not think he explained what
epoxy he used or what he used as a coloring agent. As I recall, he
colored his epoxy black, while I'm looking for a dark reddish brown.
Anybody have any experience with this or an alternative method?