Old Nick

On Sun, 22 May 2005 04:44:07 GMT, "John Moorhead"
wrote:

I own designCad, and I have trialled TurboCad. I dislike them both. I
prefer DesgignCad, because I found it to be more intuitive and at the
levels it worked well, it was a lot more "progressive" in the learning
curve. The logic remained constant. I could actually come back and
work the same problem from memory / intuition. Not so with TurboCad
for me.

I find they work great for use of standard shapes, in both 2d and 3d,
but if you want to "build" shapes by sort of sketching, they are very
flaky, with Snaps, for instance, _showing_ a good snap, but being way
off in one or the other dimension. Whenever I ask I get told it's
because I don't understand the principles. This has _sometimes_ been
right, but not often.

If you don't believe me, try working with Rhino demo and non-standard
shapes. It's a whole new ballgame. However it costs more than
Designcad or Turbo standard, and I have looked into its CNC etc
capabilities at all.

Folks -

I am learning, slowly, how to run the school's ShopBot CNC setup, but don't
like using artCAD, which came with the machine. I have both turbo and
design cad for my own use but really haven't gotten started learning them
yet. Do any of you have a preference, if so, why, and also, if you can
recommend any tutorials or websites that might make the learning curve less
of a cliff like apparition on my monitor, I'd be much abliged.

Any leads? TIA

John Moorhead