Dave in Fairfax

Patriarch wrote:
Yes, I will need the mask. I'll order it Monday. And Bill's video is
on the wish list. I'm taking a local one-day class after Memorial Day
weekend.

The real challenge with the balancing of the blank on this one was that
it was sufficiently large that it needed to be rounded with the
headstock turned 90 degrees. That process I'll leave until I'm a little
more experienced next time.

The question I forgot was "What, if anything, should I do to reduce the
penicillin growing on the blank?"

Or is this firewood?

Well, where to start. ANY mask is better than none. Order/drive
to get/ whatever your mask ASAP, but regardless, get something on
you before you start making sawdust again.

As for rounding, think bandsaw. Use a chainsaw to make the blocks
into the right height and then use the BS to make circles out of
them. THEN put them on the lathe. It'll make a very big
difference and it'll take care of the junk growing on the
outside. If you HAVE to turn it without removing the grunge, try
stabilising it with something. I use future floor wax for a lot
of my stabilisation, whether it's wood fibers or anything else.
Thhe stuff is cheap, dries quickly and is a clear acrylic. I also
makes the stuff smell like apples until it's turned away. Not
commercial benefit, standard disclaimer etc. I figure that if you
stiffen and cover in one fell swoop, it can't be all bad.
Firewood, walnut, don't say such things in the same sentance. %-)

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work