WillR

Patriarch wrote:
Dave in Fairfax wrote in news:4290ECC9.EB5FCD15
@fairfax.com:

Patriarch wrote:

Today was my first experience with turning a largish bowl from green
wood. Well, starting at least.
A friend brought some good California walnut by, a yard tree that had

come down for a number of reasons. He brought me enough for maybe 6

or

eight largeish bowls (at least near the capacity of my Jet 1442 (*).

snip of learning experience

Sounds like you got off fairly easily. any time my Dad told me
"this is going to be a learning experience", I knew it was going
to hurt.

Walnut, especially green, is my favorite wood. When turning
largish unbalanced loads, you might want to bring your tailstock
up and at least start out between centers, or chuck/faceplate and
live center. Take a look at Bill Gumbine's video if you haven't
already, he shows how to take a log and make it into a bowl.
Safely. No commercial etc, yadda, yadda, yadda. WEAR A MASK.

Dave in Fairfax

Yes, I will need the mask. I'll order it Monday. And Bill's video is
on the wish list. I'm taking a local one-day class after Memorial Day
weekend.

The real challenge with the balancing of the blank on this one was that
it was sufficiently large that it needed to be rounded with the
headstock turned 90 degrees. That process I'll leave until I'm a little
more experienced next time.

The question I forgot was "What, if anything, should I do to reduce the
penicillin growing on the blank?"

Or is this firewood?

Patriarch

Maybe you should be wearing an N95 mask. I use the type that has a port
to let the (warm moist) breath escape when I exhale. The mask seems to
stay a lot clearer with the ported mask. I have tried the duck bill and
the non-ported masks -- I don't find them as comfortable and they are a
lot warmer.

When I work in the shop, the mask stays on now, and no more irritating
cough. The Shop vac that I attach to dust ports now has a HEPA filter as
well as the bag, and If I am turning anything I consider dangerous I
will use a High Efficiency bag that captures particles down to .1
micron. ...cheaper than a lung transplant, and far less fuss.

I noticed on Georges site that he has a dust collection port tied near
the lathe. I don't have a dust collector, but it is on the list and I
will do that as well when I have to work on the lathe without the shop
open. Also after reviewing the Bill Penz site I will add a HEPA filter
to any dust collector for the reasons you raised -- small particles and
bio material....

Perhaps someone has used a spray bottle of bleach mixture to kill mould?
Maybe that would help. I know it would discolour the wood -- but the
outside gets removed anyway...

FWIW

--
Will