Mary Fisher

"Anna Kettle" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 May 2005 18:46:43 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Ah yes, Anna, that's what I was trying to remember! Thanks. But vegetable
dyes were known to have been used.

Do you know any more about this? Some vegetable dyes are very strong,
like blackberry but I'm surprised they are fast

Blackberry, as far as I know, is very fugitive. Unless you collect them in
your shirt of course when they stain for ever G

I was thinking particularly about alkanet, which is fat soluble and the fat
was added to the mixture. It doesn't need a mordant in that application.

Madder might have been used, I'll see if I can find anything about it but I
thought you'd have been the expert :-)

Mary
Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642