Last I heard, if the set falls within a certain serial number range and
did not have the modified D board already installed, Sony is still
sending out the part no charge to an authorized Sony servicer, customer
to pay labor charges ~$200.

Bill wrote:
I have a four-year-old, 36-inch Sony XBR set (KV-36XBR400) that
recently quit powering up. A Sony service tech troubleshot the

problem
as the one widely reported around this forum and elsewhe a

defective
D-board.

This set, which cost us a salty $2,500, has a stunning picture (when

it
works!) and has had no previous problems, but we're concerned that
dropping the $500 for a rebuilt D-board (the only ones available)

might
somehow be dollar-wise and pound-foolish, especially if the set is
prone to the problem.

Can you offer an opinion about the "permanency" of such a D-board
repair? Given your knowledge and expertise about Sony, this set and
such high-end sets in general, is it "worth fixing" from a

cost-benefit
ratio, as they say.

Thanks, BILL L