Patriarch

Dave in Fairfax wrote in news:4290ECC9.EB5FCD15
@fairfax.com:

Patriarch wrote:
Today was my first experience with turning a largish bowl from green
wood. Well, starting at least.
A friend brought some good California walnut by, a yard tree that had

come down for a number of reasons. He brought me enough for maybe 6

or
eight largeish bowls (at least near the capacity of my Jet 1442 (*).

snip of learning experience

Sounds like you got off fairly easily. any time my Dad told me
"this is going to be a learning experience", I knew it was going
to hurt.

Walnut, especially green, is my favorite wood. When turning
largish unbalanced loads, you might want to bring your tailstock
up and at least start out between centers, or chuck/faceplate and
live center. Take a look at Bill Gumbine's video if you haven't
already, he shows how to take a log and make it into a bowl.
Safely. No commercial etc, yadda, yadda, yadda. WEAR A MASK.

Dave in Fairfax

Yes, I will need the mask. I'll order it Monday. And Bill's video is
on the wish list. I'm taking a local one-day class after Memorial Day
weekend.

The real challenge with the balancing of the blank on this one was that
it was sufficiently large that it needed to be rounded with the
headstock turned 90 degrees. That process I'll leave until I'm a little
more experienced next time.

The question I forgot was "What, if anything, should I do to reduce the
penicillin growing on the blank?"

Or is this firewood?

Patriarch