Dave in Fairfax

Patriarch wrote:
Today was my first experience with turning a largish bowl from green
wood. Well, starting at least.
A friend brought some good California walnut by, a yard tree that had to
come down for a number of reasons. He brought me enough for maybe 6 or
eight largeish bowls (at least near the capacity of my Jet 1442 (*).

snip of learning experience

Sounds like you got off fairly easily. any time my Dad told me
"this is going to be a learning experience", I knew it was going
to hurt.

Walnut, especially green, is my favorite wood. When turning
largish unbalanced loads, you might want to bring your tailstock
up and at least start out between centers, or chuck/faceplate and
live center. Take a look at Bill Gumbine's video if you haven't
already, he shows how to take a log and make it into a bowl.
Safely. No commercial etc, yadda, yadda, yadda. WEAR A MASK.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work