Stuart

On Sat, 21 May 2005 13:36:14 +0100, Nick Atty
wrote:

On 21 May 2005 18:24:52 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

I would strongly suggest crimping unless you are already expert at
electrical soldering (in which case you wouldn't have posted this
question). Crimping is much easier to get right and reliable (in
spite of the unjustified scare storey floating around here) starting
from an untrained position on either side and it is standard electrical
practice, whereas soldering isn't. Use insulated crimps and a proper
ratchet crimper, and do some practice runs.
I didn't notice the PVC becoming damaged, either expanding or melting. It
seemed to me to be as good as before. I'm just a little worried that it
might have melted and become compromised above/below the joint, where I
can't see. On the other hand, I've tested the sockets with devices that draw
large currents - if anything had gone wrong, I'd know about it, wouldn't I?

If you're asking someone here to tell you it's OK, no one can,
because no one saw you making the connection or inspected the
quality of it afterwards. If you are unsure, get an electrician
in to inspect it and possibly redo it and test the integrity of
the ring circuit.

While agreeing with all of Andrew's caveats, I'd add that you can adapt
a trick from electronics and use a pair of thin-nosed pliers on the wire
to act as a heat sink. In this case you're going to end up with two
pairs of pliers and the iron and the solder all to go in, so unless you
are an octopus you are going to need a friend, or some haemostatic
forceps.

I think you can also get putty that takes the heat away .
Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.