Tim Morley

"Brian" wrote in message
If you've been following my saga, you'll know that I'm trying to join some
T&E cable.

This afternoon I went to B&Q to get some junction boxes. My plan is, like
Andrew Gabriel, to both solder the joints and screw them down in a box.

While there, I also bought a simple continuity tester. With the power off,
tested the continuity between both live and ground, and neutral and
ground.

To my surprise, the continuity tester "chirped" - beeped briefly - and its
LED flashed briefly, before remaining silent. Continuity is normally
indicated by a steady beep and a lit LED.

Now I presume that this is normal - some kind of side effect of the RCD,
or
something like that? Has anybody else used one of these devices and had a
similar result?

(ps Also bought a Power Detector, which can detect current within a wire;
cut a long story short, I found out that my ring main was incomplete and
traced the wire to a socket box in the kitchen, where a N wire was out;
this
socket box had been fitted by "professional" kitchen fitters as supplied
by
MFI. In the past I've also had to fix their plumbing and, frankly, I'm
considering getting somebody in to check out the gas hob they fitted.)

Does the continuity tester still work?
There is continuity between neutral and earth. You said with power off, just
cct breaker off, or main switch?