DanG

It is not rare to see casing beads ripped to a narrower dimension
in a corner where the full size does not fit. Same miter joint on
the trim, just have to trim one end short. Plan on a bit of
painter's caulk to close any gap.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
Hello,

I'm planning on replacing and retrimming various doors here.

Currently the trim is a basic 1 1/4 plain casing. I'd like to
go with
something a bit more decorative, and a bit wider as well.

The problem is that a couple of the doors are pegged dead up
against walls
with no room for wider casing. I'd really rather not have two
doors drive
the casing choice for the entire house. I'd really really
rather not (and
won't, at least not at this point) move the door openings.

Has anyone dealt with this before? I don't believe you can just
rip the
casing down to width as that will force an odd miter angle which
will stick
out terribly. Just try and use a narrower trim that roughly
matches the
profile of the wider one?

thank you for comments
ml