Peter Hyde

In article ,
Prometheus wrote:

Like I said above, I tried the LDD method, but I really did not enjoy
the sloppy slurry that came off the piece for the first several cuts.
I'm going to blame that on the glycerine in the soap, just for the
heck of it.

I always pull the piece out of the mix and let it drain for at least 24
hours. Then really wipe dry with paper towels. Certainly no more messy
than turning green wood.

Fifth, how does a solution like this affect various finishes- or does
it not affect them at all?

I had problems with LDD and finishes mainly because i was leaving really
punky spalted wood in soak for weeks. The LDD did 100% penetration and
would not accept any finished. As a remedy i ended up doing multiple hot
water rinses and micorwaving until all LDD was gone. A long time wasting
process but NO cracks, No distortion, and NO shrinkage. Similar pieces
of the same wood without LDD were also turned and all were badly
cracked, distorted and shrinkage was evident. They were turned and
finished in one go using either BLO and shellac or lacquer.

I haven't used LDD on anything recently and have regretted it!

--
Remove no & spam to email

meet me at:
http://peterhyde.bravehost.com/