Charles Spitzer

"JK" wrote in message
news:CROee.10976$fI.901@fed1read05...
No, you can't tile to the plywood directly as wood is prone to warping.
Either backerboard or concrete board is fine, but I'd recommend
backerboard if it's for the wall, as it's lighter (it's also easier to
cut).

BTW, is the plywood on the wall? Odd.
"Al Kondo" wrote in message
I am going to put 4" x 4" ceramic wall tile in my kitchen. Currently
there is 3/8" plywood underneath the current covering (I don't know
what you call it, but it is 1/4" glossy cover with fake 4" patterns so
that it looks like tile). I was thinking of removing the covering and
then possibly putting tile over the plywood. Alternatively, I could
put cement backerboard over the plywood. Should I go the backerboard
route, or, is it possible to tile over the plywood directly??

Thanks, Al Kondo

the above not withstanding, as long as it's dry, plywood doesn't warp,
especially if securely fastened to the studs.

the answer is yes, you can. use mastic instead of thinset.