RonB wrote:
: I recently noticed some rot on the lower end of the frame of my garage side
: entry door. The house is only 6 years old, but it looks like a couple of
: nearby sprinkler heads and some caulk gaps are the culprits. It is rotted
: throught the frame, stop and part of the brick moulding.

: The damage appears to be isolated to the lower 6" to 8" of the frame and
: brick moulding. Threshold needs some finish but seems sound. I think this
: can be repaired without replacing the entire frame. I am wondering if
: anyone has had experience with any of the following approaches:

: 1) Carefully sawing out the lower rotted area (beneath the hinge) and
: shimming in new stock with screws and glue (easiest but probably least
: desirable).

I did just that at my first house where the lower portion rotted out, I
replaced it with a section of pressure treated wood. It was still looking
good 3 years later when I sold the house. A few years ago I saw on one of
the home diy shows a product for repairing rotted frames around garage
doors. It was a composite material and was rot proof.