Mike Dodd

Joe T wrote:
I'm fitting laminate flooring in a hallway with numerous doors.

Around the skirting board edges I can put in cork expansion strips
and cover with beading. However, the doorways are recessed and I'm
not sure how best to handle those. Here's a photo to illustrate:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/joe.tully/doorway.jpg

It's quite a large gap and I'm not sure how best to fill it in so
that it doesn't look conspicuous.

I would guess that leaving exposed cork is not a good idea, as it will
wear quickly.

My approach (which I'm sure will be rejected here later) would be...

Another sheet of laminate, the length of the door.
Profile gauge - to transfer the profile of the architrave onto laminate.
Remove existing wooden floor-plate / interface / whatever - the mahogany
stained item.
Using router, or similar, remove a lip from the edge that is exposed to
new laminate - to allow laminate to slid UNDER.
A prayer - to assist the replacement of floor-plate and last laminate
piece "simultaneously" - or a 2lb lump hammer (hey, they always find a use)

Just to annoy you, it'd probably have been easier in the long run to
remove the skirting board and cut a 10mm slot in the bottom of the
architrave to allow the laminate to butt-up to the entrance to the room
behind, in hind-sight.

Mike