D Murphy

J. Nielsen wrote in
:

The grinder I used was a Jungner US-450 CNC with four axis - think of
an
ordinary lathe, and swap X with Z & Y with X. Tool up&down = third
axis [X] Spindle = fourth axis [b] )

The Siemens 810 control only allow for three axis to move
simultaneously.

To make an already too long story short; I somehow managed to solve
the
task, but it did make my head hurt at times.

How would you have done it?

For those interested in the challenge, I'll post the solution on
Monday. (not like that spoil sport & teaser, Anthony) G

If I had my choice of methods, I would try whirling it on a thread
whirling machine. I've seen similar parts in Leistritz' display case at
machine tool shows. I can't find any pics of them on their web site.
These parts are different but may give you an idea.

http://tinyurl.com/bvevh

Not being a grinding guy makes it difficult to know what I could get away
with on a CNC grinder. If it would work I would dress a full radius on a
narrow wheel and and interpolate the work spindle with what would be the
x-axis and z-axis on a lathe. In other words the wheel axis would move to
stay in contact with the work as it rotated, while traversing the length.

Looking at the two pictures and not having all the info it would seem
that the wheel could remain perpendicular to the work spindle.

The main problem with this method would be wheel wear and loading of the
wheel. Maybe a CBN wheel and very high pressure coolant would solve those
problems?

--

Dan