Andy Dingley

On Sat, 21 May 2005 09:45:36 GMT, "David Lang"
wrote:

I use a lot of square hemlock stair spindles from Wickes in a regular job I
do.

Installing stair spindles as a regular job ?

I have this wonderful image of you as carpenter in residence to the
Deadwood Saloon Bar and Cathouse, putting new spindles in every Saturday
night, after someone throws Lee Marvin down the stairs again. 8-)

I've never noticed it being especially hard. Machines beautifully -
cheap source of decent hardwood.

Hemlock is a softwood. I'm rather surprised to see it as turnery too.
Most of the stuff we see is the very lowest grade of "white pineywood".

Softwoods are coniferous (gymnosperms) and are defined as those timbers
which don't have internal vessels. Mostly these are evergreens with
needle-shaped leaves, but the overlap isn't perfect. There are
broadleaved and deciduous (shed leaves in winter) softwoods, as well as
evergreen or needle-leaved hardwoods.