George E. Cawthon

Bill Waller wrote:
I man working on a picture frame project. The basic frame is good old red oak.
I have inlayed four small pieces of cherry near the corners. When I selected it
from the scrap pile, it had the rich dark cherry color that I was looking for.

Unfortunately, I had to do some sanding which took the cherry back to the light
color of freshly sanded wood.

I would like to get the darker color back before I finish the project. No, I
will not stain it. I know that it will eventually darken naturally as it ages,
but the frame will be used in a room with very little natural light.

Right now, the frame is sitting in a place where it will get natural sunlight.
I am willing to wait. About how long should it take for the unfinished cherry
to get back the darker tone? What will exposure to the sun do to the unfinished
oak? I really don't want to bleach it out.

TIA.

____________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Can't tell you about the red oak, but I recently
made moldings to match cherry laminate floor. It
took about 4 days out in the sun (not through a
window). I wasn't sure it had darkened enough but
the first bit of oil on the wood showed it to be a
perfect match. Might have needed only 3 days.
You can test every day as one person suggested
using paint thinner instead of oil.