Rusty

"Brian" wrote in message
I'm really, really sorry if I come across as labouring this point, but I
need some definitive advice on the best way of connecting two pieces of
ring-main T&E together.

Regular readers will know that I started off doing this with terminal
blocks
but because these would have to be hidden behind plasterboard, either
soldering or crimping was the only way forward.

I used a gas-powered soldering iron because, obviously, the power was
turned
off.

The joints I made seemed strong but didn't occur in just a few seconds -
in
some cases I had to heat the joint maybe 30 seconds or more before it
became
hot enough for the solder to melt onto it.

Just how big (or small) is this gas iron. Having done electical soldering
many years ago, if it didn't work in a couple of seconds and run the solder
over the joint, I would have given up.
For 13A cable a 50W electric iron with a fairly heavy 1cm diam bit minimum
is needed, preferably 1.5 cm. A 15W electronic iron would be far too small
and its small heat capacity would mean the wires cooled the bit to below
solder melting point, which is what seems to be happening.

rusty