Tom Banes

If you've got a "damn the expense" attitude as I sometimes do, you
might try Murdoch's Table Top. It's a a brush on, not a wiper. I used
it to refinish a maple table top out at the hunting cabin, a table
that gets a lot of less than humane treatment between heavy eating and
heavier poker games. The stuff is magic after 4 coats over sanded poly
(not what Murdoch's recommends, but getting to clean wood would have
taken days of sanding). No brush marks and doesn't look plastic. I
also used it on some old occasional tables (oak) at home - looks great
but with the heavy grain in oak you can't really see if it's smoothed
out. On the Maple, you can see how it flattens out before drying.

Regards.