Patriarch

"Ace" wrote in
:

I really like the concept of masking off one face with paraffin, but
wonder how to
apply it with out wrapping around corners? Also, would sanding be
sufficient to
remove traces of the paraffin before finishing that face natural?

I just experimented with a water based stain this morning (Minwax) and
was displeased.

This surprises me not at all.

Many years ago, I used a water based stain on oak and was very
satisfied, but it was a powder which I mixed myself and sprayed.

This is likely a dye, which works somewhat differently. That's a good
thing.

Alcohol based stains are new to me. Who sells them and what are their
advantages?

These are also dyes, just using a different carrier solvent. Water- and
alcohol-solvent dyes are packaged by, among others, TransFast
(powdered). Dyes in solution are sold under sister label TransTint.
Really good info available at www.homesteadfinishing.com.

Woodworking specialty retailers generally have these. Who that would be
for you varies regionally somewhat. We are lucky to have both Rockler
and Woodcraft, along with a number of excellent independents, in my
area.

I forecast less than 100% satisfaction with your experiment with oil
stains and hard maple, although you should proceed anyhow.

Patriarch