Highland Pairos

I'm liking the idea of a groove the entire length of the top rail, not
cutting tenons at all and then using filler blocks. Is there a downside to
eliminating the tenons all together?

SteveP.

P.S. Just wait until I start working out the structural integrity issues of
this thing.

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 May 2005 03:32:55 GMT, the inscrutable "Highland Pairos"
spake:

A friend of mine approached me with a rough drawing of a driveway gate
design today. The simplest way to describe it would be a frame and
panel
design, except that instead of a panel it would use slats or pickets in
the
field. The design would use a curved top rail and straight stiles and
bottom rail. We had envisioned using M&T's to attach the slats to the
rails. While it has raised numerous questions in my neophyte mind, the
biggest one for now is how I would cut the tenons and their shoulders to
go
into a curved frame. I imagine that I could establish a line where the
shoulder should be and rough out the material in an expedient manner and
then work to the line with chisels, rasps, files, etc. Is there a better,
more consistent, more expedient way to do this? Did any of this make
sense?

Grooves can be routed the entire length, then filler pieces placed in
between the slats. I've seen that done to save time in wannabe M&T
furniture.

Save the Endangered Bouillons from being cubed!
http://www.diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online