Ace

Yes, I am reading the answers to my post and appreciate all responses.

I really like the concept of masking off one face with paraffin, but
wonder how to
apply it with out wrapping around corners? Also, would sanding be
sufficient to
remove traces of the paraffin before finishing that face natural?

I just experimented with a water based stain this morning (Minwax) and was
displeased.
Many years ago, I used a water based stain on oak and was very satisfied,
but it was a powder
which I mixed myself and sprayed.

My next approach will be an oil based stain. Any suggestions as to brand
and where to buy?

Alcohol based stains are new to me. Who sells them and what are their
advantages?

Thanks again,
Ace

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On Thu, 19 May 2005 22:11:10 GMT, the inscrutable "Ace"
spake:

I have made some one inch hard maple cubes and would like to finish
one face natural,
and finish the remaining surfaces with a dark stain.

Have about a hundred, and am looking for suggestions on how to keep
the dark stain
off the face I want to do natural.

I'd shellac 'em or wax 'em. Perhaps you could soak a paper towel and
carefully blot one face.

Which of the two you'd choose would depend on the type of 'stain' you
choose. And since with maple, the best choice for a 'stain' is more
likely
a 'dye', there would be some issues with using shellac, if the dye were an
alcohol solvent dye. Shellac uses alcohol as its solvent. Inadvertent
experimentation on my part yielded less than happy results. A waxy
product, perhaps like the Anchorseal turners use, might be a good choice.

I have no experience with water-based dyes and hard maple. Others may.

Patriarch